With Website Plugin you can add external web content to your Play Digital Signage slides.
- Pre-load website – Player will start loading the plugin 15 seconds before it will be displayed, so when the slide is displayed, the website has already loaded and is ready to display. If the website you want to display has some load animation or video set to autoplay, you can disable this option so that the animation does not run while plugin is pre-loading.
- Enable scrolling – By default the scrolling behavior is disabled so that the scroll bar is not visible. If you want users to interact with the site, you can enable scrolling.
- Zoom – Depending on how the website is built, it may render different on certain devices. By adjusting zoom, you can make the page to fit better.
Depending on the player you are using, the website is embedded differently:
This is due to how html5 works. Iframe runs in a ‘sandbox’ as part of the browser window, whereas webview functions as a separate web window. If the website you are trying to embed returns X-Frame-Options DENY/SAMEORIGIN header, the page can not be displayed in iframe because website owner has forbade it. However the page is still rendered on our players that use webview instead.
Displaying PDF in Chrome extension
Our Chrome extension (including ChromeOS) players have a built-in PDF reader, so displaying PDF’s is straight-forward. In addition there are some extra parameters that you can use to customize how the PDF is displayed. The parameters are added at the end of the file URL:
- #page=2 – Opens the file on second page.
- #view=fith – Fits the page horizontally, the other option is fitv to fit vertically.
- #zoom=150 – Zooms the page 150%.
You can also combine the parameters by chaining them together with & sign, for an example:
Displaying PDF in Android, Windows, Linux & MacOS
Our app on these platforms does not have a PDF viewer built in by default, but it’s possible to use an online PDF reader built by Mozilla to display the PDF files, here’s how:
- The PDF file needs to be proxied via our servers, we have a service for that. To use it, simply append your file address to this URL:
https://playsignage.com/proxy?address=YOUR_URL. By replacing YOUR_URL with the file address, your full URL should look like this:
- Go to the URL you just created to make sure it works!
- Next we need to encode the URL as it contains characters that can’t be in the browser’s address bar. Copy the URL with your address, now open this service and paste the URL to the textbox there. Next click the ‘encode’ button and in the textbox below you’ll see the result, now copy the result.
- By encoding the sample URL we were using, the result now should look something like this:
- Now let’s append the encoded result to yet another URL, in this case the online PDF viewer:
- By now the example we’ve been using looks like this:
- Open the URL you created to make sure it works, then you can use it in the website plugin!
Tip: You can also use parameters to open the PDF at specified page, change zoom – documented in here.