1. Get App
Install the player app from Google Play Store or scan the QR code below:
If you can’t use Play Store on your device, you can download and install the APK file directly:
- 32bit Android app (armeabi-v7) – download this if you are unsure which to choose
- 64bit Android app (arm64-v8a)
Please note that if you install the app from APK file it will not be automatically updated, see how to update manually.
2. Set as home screen app (recommended)
To ensure that your player starts together with Android operating system, we recommend setting it as a ‘launcher app’. Android should prompt you to choose default launcher application when pressing home screen, or you can configure it in Settings->Home.
Alternatively if your Android device does not permit changing home screen app, you can configure our app to launch on operating system startup by going to our app Settings and turn on Launch player on startup option.
[AndroidTV owners]If you are running an AndroidTV device (usually Sharp or Sony smart TV), you need to also install and configure Launch on Boot application to start the player after device has booted.
3. Give permissions
Upon first launch the app will ask for storage and Internet permission. These permissions are essential for our app to work!
4. Link the screen
You can link the screen to your account on the screens page by entering the 6 character code.
I got my screen linked, what next?
We recommend checking out our 5 minute video guide on getting started, it covers most of the basics.
What is the minimum Android version required?
Minimum version required is KitKat 4.4 (SDK version 19), however we recommend using a device with at least Android Lollipop (5.0)
Some device manufacturers ship the device with a modified Android version where the service has been removed. You can install it back however:
- 32bit Crosswalk Runtime (Play store) or you can download the .apk from APKPure.
- 64bit Crosswalk Runtime or you can download the .apk file from APKPure.
If you are unsure which to choose, try 32bit first. After you have installed Crosswalk Runtime, you can install our app.
Can I install the app on my smartphone?
Yes, you can even install the app on your phone to use it as a screen while you try out our software.
How do I set up the display in portrait mode?
See the Android section of our portrait guide.
If you installed the app via Google Play Store, it will be automatically updated however you can also start the update process manually:
- Open our app listing in Play Store.
- If there is an update available, you will see a button to update the app.
If you installed the APK file directly, you need to update the app manually:
- Download the new .apk file and save it on the device
- Open the .apk file and Android will prompt you to update existing app
- Once update finishes, open Play Digital Signage app again (no need to link screen again, data is retained)
If you are using Android Debug Bridge (adb), you can install new .apk with a command:
adb install -r play-1.18.0.apk (replace the file name with the latest .apk file)