Samsung Tizen Digital Signage
Samsung Tizen Digital Signage is a TV with a built-in player (The hardware running your content). These devices are designed to work for extended hours, the built-in hardware is more powerful and reliable. When it comes to the operating system, it is also designed with digital signage in mind, so it will always automatically launch our player app and keep it running. Furthermore, due to the partner-level integration, our app is able to control TV functions otherwise out of reach for external players, such as turning the TV panel off at a scheduled time to save power. It’s also possible to lock down the device further by disabling remote control from our web portal so that the device can’t be switched to another input source (safety lock).
There are a couple of things you need to do before you can start loading your Samsung SmartTV with digital signage, please follow these steps.
- Select your language
- Select display orientation (you can change it later via a web portal)
- Set auto-power off to “off”
- Connect to the Internet (Wired or WiFi)
- Set the date and time
Install our APP
Select URL launcher and enter the following URL: https://t.playsignage.com
Please beware that the Samsung Smart Signage Platform (SSSP) is a special series and it is not to be confused with the Samsung Tizen TVs sold for consumer home use. Our Tizen app will run on SSSP 6 compatible devices from the following series:
Options can be accessed directly by the player or in settings for your player.
- Show top menu bar – Toggle this ON if you want the top bar to appear when moving the mouse or using the remote for your player. Toggle this OFF if you want a kiosk experience where users can’t exit the app by clicking the exit button on the top menu bar. You can still access the menu with “Ctrl + o” command.
- Optimize for touchscreen – Toggle this ON if you are planning on using our APP on a touchscreen. This setting will make small adjustments to how our APP works in conjunction with a touchscreen.
- Analytics – Toggle this ON if you need analytic data from this particular player. Read more about Analytics
- Safety Lock – Lock down the device further by disabling the remote control from our web portal so that the device can’t be switched to another input source (safety lock).
- Display Orientation – Landscape, Portrait or Portrait (counter-clockwise) options.
- UserAgent – UserAgent is a piece of text that browsers use to identify itself to the web server. Certain websites will render a mobile view if they detect Android userAgent, although the site is displayed on a big screen. With this option, you can work around this issue and spoof a desktop computer’s UserAgent. The UserAgent lets you pick Default, Mobile, Desktop, or Custom.
- Reload player every day at – It is good practice to clear the cache on the player once every 24 hours. Here you can set a time that is not inconvenient, for example at night when no one is watching your TVs. Rooted devices will be rebooted, unrooted devices will simply restart our app.
- Display on / off – Turn the display on and off based on a schedule. (Learn more)
- Tags – If you are using tags they will be listed here. You also can find and add a tag.
- Re-download assets – Ask the media player to download all assets.
- Reboot – Reboot the TV remotely.
- Screen Name, Screen UID, Resolution, Platform, RAM, Navigator Platform, Last IP Address, Model, Linked ON are all information we might need if you’re having a problem with your media player or smartTV.
- Player time now – The device time tells you the player’s time and date. If the device time is wrong it will also be wrong in our APP and thus all time-related scheduling will be off, so make sure to correct the time on the player operating system if you are having problems.
- Disc Usage – Disc usage will tell you how much data have been used on the player’s storage. We do not recommend more than max. 80% storage use.
- Screen edges – In case you have a LED screen, video wall, or an older model TV you might have to adjust the edges so that they match your TV and the content.
- Remove – If you need to unlink your player or perhaps link the player to another account you can use reset.
I get Unable to connect to the server
Make sure that the device time is correct and that it’s connected to the Internet.
I got my screen linked, what next?
We recommend checking out our 5-minute video guide on getting started, it covers most of the basics.
Why my 4K Samsung TV is running at 1920×1080?
Samsung’s 4K devices run apps in full-HD resolution (1920×1080), but their video player is capable of 4K playback, which means the 4K videos you add to your playlist will be played in 4K resolution. This is how their TV’s architecture is set up and we can not have our app (or any other 3rd party app) in 4K.
My TV switches to a different input source automatically.
If your TV has enabled HDMI-CEC (called Anynet+) on your TV, then this feature automatically switches to a new source if it powers on or is plugged in. Follow the instructions on Samsung’s site to turn it off: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01111222/#turn-off-automatic-hdmi-switching-with-ir-remote
If the issue persists even after turning off HDMI-CEC functionality, there are a `few more options to try changing on the TV:
On the TV settings, navigate to “On Screen Display” -> “Message Display” and turn off options for “Source Info”, “No Signal Message” and “MDC Message”
Why aren’t the home/consumer Samsung Tizen TVs supported?
The primary reason is that the regular Tizen TVs don’t support auto-starting an application, this feature is very essential to recover after power outages or in case the app crashes. In addition, the home TVs lack the ability to screenshot, control display on/off times, and reboot and the built-in hardware (processor/memory/graphics) is not as powerful as in the SSSP series devices.
How to expand the storage?
You can expand the storage with a USB memory stick, simply plug it in and press the “tools” key on the remote. It will open up a menu and at the bottom, you will find the option to select which storage to use. By default, the internal storage is selected, navigate to the new option (likely called USB /dev/sda) and select it. This will cause our player app to write all of its files there, if you had already linked a screen, you will have to link it again as the data is now stored on the USB drive instead.
Do the colors in the screenshot look slightly off?
Not to worry, your TV is showing colors correctly! It’s a known issue in the Tizen platform that the colors in the screenshot appear darker than they actually are.
Why is the video flickering?
One limitation of the Tizen platform is that it can not have overlapping video elements, if you have designed your playlist in a way where two videos overlap, this will cause it to flicker.
Can I remote access my Samsung Tizen Digital Signage TV?
You can remotely access your Samsung Tizen Digital Signage TV using MagicInfo.
Can I turn the TV on and off from your software?
Yes, due to the partner-level integration, our app is able to control TV functions otherwise out of reach for external players, such as turning the TV panel off at a scheduled time to save power. Learn more.
Can I lock down the TV?
Yes, It’s possible to lock down the device by disabling the remote control from our web portal so that the device can’t be switched to another input source (safety lock).