Groups in Digital Signage
- Finding your groups
- Base Playlists in groups
- How to work with groups
- Content synchronisation
Groups in Digital Signage can have one screen or a collection of screens that play the same content. Groups connect your content with your screens, you create your content, you add your screens and then you link it all together in the groups.
- Create New Group – This is where you add or create a new group
- Standby – The standby group is for screens you don’t want playing content.
- Base Playlist – This is the default content chosen for the group and this is what plays on all screens in the group. (Learn more)
- Schedules – Click here to add, modify and remove schedules for the group.
- Synchronised – Synchronises slide playbacks between all screens in the group.
- Publish – Publish any changes you make.
Base Playlists in Groups
Each group has a base playlist and, if needed, scheduling rules. A group will play your base playlist by default, and your schedules are exceptions overruling that default.
Learn more about how to schedule your content here, Scheduling
How you work with Groups
Find it on Youtube, https://youtu.be/iHouMYyQdCM
With the “Synchronized” option turned on, all the screens in the same group synchronize the playback of a playlist so that the same slide is played on all screens. The synchronization feature relies on the device’s clock and schedules each slide to start at the same time for all devices. This does not synchronize video frames and only ensures that all devices in the group start the video at the same millisecond. If you want to ensure that all screens play the same video frame at the same time, then the best way to do this is to ensure that the devices show the same signal, you can use an HDMI splitter to split the signal and run it to each TV.
- Randomized playlists don’t work as devices would randomize different slides.
- Sub-playlist slides are also synchronized. The “Continue from previous” option is ignored, sub-playlists will always start from the first slide.
- Background music is not synchronized, we advise using a single audio source as minor differences in sound are easily perceived by humans.
- Slide conditions can be used to show different content on screens, but make sure that all screens in the group end up playing the same amount of slides in a playlist loop. If you have 2 screens in your group (let’s call them “Screen A” and “Screen B”), and you want to show a slide only on “Screen A”, then you would create a slide with slide condition. In this case “Screen A” and “Screen B” would have uneven amount of slides in the playlist loop, so you need to have a slide that’s only shown on “Screen B” as well.
How do I move my screen to a different group?
Simply drag n’ drop the screen from one group to another.
How do I add a schedule to a group?
You can click on the “Schedules” button next to a group to open up the schedules for that group, see our scheduling guide!
If I move a screen to Standby, will I still be charged that screen?
Yes, to stop billing on a specific screen you need to remove it from your account. Remember, it’s super easy to add it again.
What is the “Standby” group?
This is simply a group that has a special playlist assigned. The system will use this group in certain scenarios, for example when you delete a group that has screens in it, the screens will be automatically moved to the standby group.
How do I rename or delete a group?
Go to Groups & Schedules and then click Schedules next to the group you want to either rename or delete. Keep in mind you can not remove a group if you have screens in the group.